Episode 28: A Return to Beekeeping and Reweaving (with Ariella Daly)
Here at the new beginning marked by the Lunar New Year, come back with me to the beginning of Turning Season Podcast, for what remains one of my favorite conversations yet, with dreamworker, beekeeper, and new mother, Ariella Daly.
A warm hello to all of you who’ve starting listening since this show was born. I know not everyone has gone back to Episode 1 – so please join me in enjoying this rich conversation. If you’ve heard it before, listen again and let me know what strikes you this time!
We can each be guided by what we love, and by what breaks our hearts.
Ariella Daly’s heart is with the bees.
If you’ve listened to The Dreamers’ Den series, you heard Ariella in Episode 31, speaking about dream mirroring, bee shamanism, and the dreamweave of the earth.
She joined me again in Autumn 2021 to kick off Turning Season Podcast, opening her heart about how she relates to this time of ecological crisis and possibility, humans as a part of nature, and teaching natural beekeeping.
Click Play above to hear us talk about:
- the 3 stories of our time — Business as Usual, The Great Unravelling, and The Great Turning — and how these three stories are playing out for bees, and for beekeepers.
- the differences between conventional beekeeping, natural beekeeping, and other ways of being with the bees
- the “alarm bell” bees have been ringing, with their deaths and “colony collapse,” and what we can do
- bees on almond trees and bees on city rooftops
- what it feels like to bring a child into the world while feeling great love for life on Earth, and going through times of ecological apathy and dread
- and looking through multiple lenses to realize there are no simple answers, so we focus less on policing each other or exiting a destructive system, and more on nourishing new ways of life
You’ll hear the voice of Ariella’s baby, too (6 months old at the time of this conversation), and hear her get distracted by the beauty of leaves outside the window. I love those moments, because no matter what else we’re focused on, parenthood and trees in the wind are present too, all the time.
Subscribe to Turning Season Podcast to get every dose of active hope. Returning to this conversation now in February 2023, I’m thrilled by how this expanded podcast has grown and is fulfilling the original vision: bringing you into conversation with healers, changemakers, visionaries, wisdom-keepers, and all kinds of people doing the on-the-ground work of The Great Turning.
Follow Ariella on Instagram: instagram.com/beekeepinginskirts
Learn more & teach more about pollinators: pollinator.org/learning-center (click on Education to see resources and curriculums for parents and schools)
- Alexis Nikole sharing on Instagram about foraging and the myth of a “pristine wild”: instagram.com/blackforager/
- Michale Theile, who’s doing amazing work with trees and bees: apisarborea.org
- and the programs at Weaving Earth
She recommends reading
- this article about Weaving Earth,
- this article about wildfire
- and this article by her friend Will Scott.